WANT TO BE A VS MODEL/ANGEL?
To become a VS model, you first need to become a great model in general. VS only work with the best girls in the business and rarely pick girls that have little to no experience in the industry - most of the girls they use have worked for quite a few years before they have been picked up by VS. And remember, there are MANY successful models that don’t work for VS.
REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A MODEL:
There are many different types of modeling categories. Each modeling category has different requirements. The main modeling categories are:
Modeling is open to both male and female models and people of any ethnics or national background. While some modeling categories can have very specific height or weight requirements others can be more accessible. There are models of all ages, up to 60+.The two main modeling categories are Editorial/Fashion (i.e. runway and fashion magazine models) and Commercial. Editorial/Fashion has very strict requirements for height and weight, Commercial is a very broad category with requirements that are not as strict, there are all sorts of commercial models. Basic height requirements for the two main modeling categories, Commercial and Editorial/Fashion modeling usually are in these ranges,
Keep in mind these are just general guidelines and are not absolute.
While there are some exceptions, in most cases female commercial models have to be at least 5’6 or 5’7 and usually no more than 5’11 tall (for male models at least 5’9). If you are 5’5 or under your chances of success are very limited in comparison to taller models.
For fashion/editorial modeling, the requirements are even more stringent. There are very few fashion/editorial models under 5’8, most are 5’10 and taller. Male fashion/editorial models usually have to be at least 5’11. You can still try modeling if you are not within these requirements, but you will have far less chances of succeeding than if you fit within the requirements.
Keep in mind modeling is a very competitive business and it is not easy to break into.
REQUIREMENTS FOR WORKING FOR VICTORIA’S SECRET:
- Ideal height is anything above 5’8”, minimum is 5’7” and you’d have to be very special to get in at that height
- Measurements around 34-24-34 (Click here for the current angels measurements: http://victoriassecretbabes.tumblr.com/post/22622031468/
- Have a great body, you will be photographed predominately in underwear/swimwear - you need to be toned but not too muscular
- Generally, over 18 (they MAY consider you for their PINK line if you are under 18)
- Be with a reputable NY modelling agency (Many of the girls come from IMG, Next, Marilyn, Storm, DNA, Ford, Elite etc) - if your not from the US, you would first need to be signed with a reputable agency in your country which would then help you find an agency in the US. Many reputable modelling agencies have divisions in different countries
- A great personality. You have to be likeable. VS’s target audience is women so the company ALWAYS pick its models based on who will appeal to women and who women will like
- If you are new to modelling but are signed with a decent agency and are young, your best chance at working for VS is working for PINK- rarely do girls go straight into shooting for VS’s main line